Pathogenic fungi are infected through contact and lack of hygiene. In daily life, when ordinary shoes are used in gyms and other places with high humidity and temperature, onychomycosis (fungus of the nails) is most susceptible to infection. The initial stage of toenail fungus has certain symptoms. Understanding them can avoid the transition of pathology to another stage of development.
Early clinical manifestations of onychomycosis
In order to take timely measures, you need to know the state of the fungal infection when it begins to develop. The initial manifestation of onychomycosis is a change in the shadow of the nail plate. The pink nails become dull, dark, and yellow. In most cases, fungus affects the big toe, but in fact, all nail plates often infect onychomycosis.
The photos of the initial stages of toenail fungus are as follows. Yellow lesions of various sizes are clearly visible in the thickness of the plate. There is also hyperkeratosis (sublingual bed keratosis). The affected area becomes loose, chipped and peeled off. The falling Libra is contagious. Despite the damage, the nails will still thicken. Cracks formed between the fingers and unbearable itching appeared.
Because of the gap between the bed and the nail, the limbs produce an unpleasant smell. It is clogged with fungus, dirt and waste products of dead skin. The clustering gives the pegboard an unusual color. It can be green, brown, gray and yellow.
The dermatologist focuses on the changes in the affected area and determines the type of disease that has occurred.
- For positive vegetative fungi, the characteristics are bands and spots. The printing plate turns yellow, but retains its unique thickness and gloss;
- Hypertrophic onychomycosis is characterized by the destruction of the nail plate on the side. Wearing uncomfortable shoes can cause discomfort. Moreover, the nails are deformed, thickened obviously, and the shadows are changed;
- Atrophic toenail fungus begins with gray, dull lesions. Thinning of nails. In the affected area, the area where the plate was repelled or detached can be clearly seen.
According to the location of the fungus, diseases can be classified according to the following types:
- Total-completely beat the plate;
- Side-the infection will capture both sides;
- Proximal-later infected;
- Surface-the upper part of the nail is affected;
- Distal-the fungus captures the free edge.
In the initial stage, nail fungus has no specific symptoms. The manifestations of the disease only indicate the presence of an infection. Only after experts conduct research can the cause of the disease be found. In order to find an appropriate treatment, dermatologists distinguish onychomycosis from keratosis, psoriasis, lichen planus and other diseases that cause dystrophy of the nail plate.
How fungi develop
In the initial stages, nail fungus is difficult to detect individually. If measures are not taken in time for treatment, the infection will spread rapidly and affect healthy cells. Over time, the following process will begin:
- The first stage of the disease can only be detected by a dermatologist with the help of special equipment. Experts can identify small pale spots. They are indistinguishable under normal visual inspection.
- After a period of time, the fungus continues to grow. Streaks and spots that were previously invisible will increase in size. The color of the nail plate changes, the gloss disappears, and a yellowish color appears. If treatment is not started at this stage, the fungus can damage the nails;
- In the final stage of pathological development, the nail plate is completely destroyed. Around her, the skin turned red and began to fall off. The nails fall off, thicken, and become discolored. Due to the important activity of the fungus, unpleasant odors begin to emanate from the legs.
Only timely diagnosis can reduce the possibility of complications. With the development of advanced onychomycosis, fungal infections such as aspergillosis, organs and skin, and fungal eczema may develop.
Drug treatment of onychomycosis
After taking into account the following factors, the expert will treat the nail fungus in the initial stage:
- The degree of change of the board;
- The stage of hyperkeratosis;
- Affected area;
- The clinical form of pathology.
At the beginning of the disease's development, dermatologists prescribe local treatments. These include ointments, varnishes, solutions, creams with anti-fungal properties (antifungal drugs). It is recommended to apply them after handling infected nails. Preparatory action can improve the passage of medicine into the inside of the plate, thereby speeding up the treatment of fungi.
Plasters containing urea or salicylic acid can be used to soften nails.
The following patches are recommended:
- Treat the nail plate gently with a nail file;
- Apply antifungal agents;
- Cover the nails with plaster;
- Delete it after one day;
- Apply fungal therapy prescribed by a dermatologist.
Experts usually prescribe only topical medications.
In the early stages of development, no systemic antifungal drugs for onychomycosis were used.
In the early stages of development, non-traditional therapies can be used to combat fungal infections. The most effective method is as follows:
- Every morning and before going to bed, until the symptoms have completely disappeared, put a drop of iodine on the nail plate infected with the fungus.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of water with a teaspoon of glycerin, vinegar and iodine. Treat nails with the composition for 10 days;
- Mix 9% vinegar with water in a ratio of 1 to 8. Immerse your feet in the resulting liquid for 20 minutes. This procedure is repeated every other day. There should be 7-10 in total;
- Put the raw eggs in the container and pour 9% vinegar. After the shell is completely dissolved, remove the remaining film and mix the vinegar and eggs. Use the solution to treat fungal nails twice a day for 3 weeks.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide in 2 liters of water. Lower your feet into the container and keep for 20 minutes. The course of treatment is 10 days;
- Dip a cotton swab in peroxide and apply it to the nail affected by the fungal infection. Before the operation, the legs should be steamed in soda water. The top of the compress is wrapped in cellophane. It is necessary to keep it for an hour. Treatment lasts 2 weeks;
- Dip a cotton cloth in 20% propolis alcohol alcohol and apply it to the infected nail. Keep compressed until completely dry. This procedure is performed twice a day. Continue treatment until the symptoms of the disease have completely disappeared;
- Peel a clove of garlic and cut it in half. Soak in salt and use it to wipe your nails thoroughly. Twice a day until the symptoms of the fungus have completely disappeared.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of ammonia into a glass of water. Moisten the cotton pad in the solution, apply it to the nail infected with the fungus, and leave it overnight. The course of treatment is 7 days;
- Chop the onion thoroughly until porridge is formed. Apply the product on the infected nail plate for half an hour. Treat every day until fully recovered;
- Grind peppermint, sage and chamomile in equal proportions. Put the medicinal plants in the sock overnight. The herbs must be replaced with fresh herbs every day. This tool can be used as an auxiliary tool for other methods.
- Take equal amounts of tea tree oil and celandine. Soak a cotton pad with them and place it on the infected nail for 45 minutes. The course of treatment is 20 days. It is not allowed to use this tool during pregnancy;
- Brew 6 teaspoons of nettle leaves in 500 ml of water. Soak the lint in the broth and place it on the nail plate with onychomycosis. Continue treatment until the symptoms disappear completely.
All folk remedies can only be used after consulting a dermatologist. Many of them can cause allergic reactions. It is easier to cure onychomycosis by combining non-traditional medicines with medicines.
In the initial stage, the toenail fungus looks almost invisible grooves or white spots. Usually, a person only knows the presence of a fungal infection when visiting a dermatologist. This is due to the fact that it is almost impossible for you to recognize the disease on your own during this period. If treatment is started on time, the disease will be cured quickly.