Fungus on the skin of the toes or foot mycosis is a skin disease. Regardless of age, it will affect people.
A common form of mycosis, fungus on the toes is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms: itching, burning, peeling.
As the spores multiply, the fungus will spread to the skin of the feet and nails, penetrate into the blood through microcracks, and be carried with the blood to all internal organs.
The treatment plan is based on the accompanying disease, location, and type of infection. Prevention increases the likelihood of long-term remission.
To successfully remove harmful microorganisms, you need to know what the fungus on your legs looks like, how it appeared, and how to deal with it.
What kind of fungus grows on the toes?
Mycosis of the toes is caused by the pathogenic anthropophagus microbe tinea pedis.
Less commonly, the pathogens of the disease are molds and yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida.
The fungus's favorite habitat is the skin folds between the fingers, where it is warm and moist.
As the microorganisms multiply, the spores of the microorganisms will also spread under the toes, and then spread to the entire foot.
The main fungal infections occur in public places: bathrooms, swimming pools, saunas, gym locker rooms.
Microorganisms are fully tolerant of low temperatures and excessive drying on the surface. They can last for a long time in clothes, carpets, and shoes, and if given the opportunity, they will adhere to the skin of the feet.
The spread of microorganisms usually occurs inside the home, using common hygiene products, slippers, and manicure tools.
After entering the skin, microorganisms can stay dormant for a long time. The active growth of spores begins with the emergence of favorable conditions, that is, the reduced immunity of the infected person
If the spores come into contact with the skin of a person suffering from a chronic disease or who does not follow hygiene rules, the development of fungal disease begins almost immediately.
For patients with chronic diseases, it is especially important to understand what the fungus on the fingers looks like, because they are more susceptible to pathogens.
The risk group includes patients with the following problems:
- Malfunction of the endocrine system;
- Poor circulation of extremities, varicose veins;
- Flat feet, resulting in increased skin friction;
- Systemic stress
- Periods of hormonal changes in the body: pregnancy, menopause, adolescence;
- Inflammation of the lymphatic system;
- Immunosuppression after surgery or trauma.
Sweating feet, shoes made of synthetic materials, and minor skin injuries can all promote the growth of fungi.
Inappropriate nutrition creates favorable conditions for the growth of spores: the abuse of sweets, flour, high-fat foods, and alcoholic beverages.
In children, toe fungus is rarely diagnosed. The main cause of fungal disease in children is lack of hygiene.
Symptoms and forms of the disease
Even before the visual signs of fungal disease appear, it is possible to suspect the development of a foot infection in the initial stages. The first signs of infection are skin peeling and itching.
When microorganisms begin to invade the epidermis, the surface of the finger will be covered with small scales and cracks.
An unpleasant smell emanated from the soles of the feet. The specific symptoms depend on the form of the disease:
- deleted.Small cracks and slight peeling appeared under and on the surface of the finger.
- Scaly hyperkeratosis.There was severe itching, burning, and white scabs formed on the fingertips.
- Trivial.Skin swelling, redness, moisture formation between fingers, skin peeling, deep crack formation.
- Sweat smells.It appears as a rash of small serous vesicles. Severe itching, erosion formed in the broken bubble, and inflammation of the entire foot began.
important!In the later stages of the disease, fungi can penetrate the nail surface and begin to change their color and structure. The nails are covered with colored spots, deformities, and chipping.
When the first clinical symptoms of infection appear, it is necessary to consult a doctor for diagnosis.
Although the symptoms of the fungus can be clearly seen even in the photos, only an expert can determine the specific pathogen.
Laboratory tests are prescribed for patients:
- Microscopic examination of skin particles.
- Bacterial culture of debris and liquid from vesicles.
- DNA research of biological materials.
- blood test.
It is not difficult to treat finger fungus in the initial stage.
The main activities are thorough skin hygiene and treatment with local antifungal drugs.
In the later stages of the development of fungal infections, doctors will take antifungal drugs by mouth.
As an adjunct to drug treatment, folk remedies and physical therapy procedures are used.
Follow your doctor's advice carefully to cure the fungus on your toes without reducing the time to take prescription medications.
Medication includes the use of two groups of drugs:
- External preparations: ointments, creams, gels, sprays;
- Oral preparations.
important!Comprehensive treatment measures also include special diets, taking immune stimulants, and methods to restore intestinal flora. When the inflammation of secondary infection is added, an ointment is additionally used.
The physical therapy procedure is to accelerate the healing process in addition to medication:
- Ultraviolet rays irradiate the skin. The rays penetrate the skin to a depth of 0. 6 mm and kill the fungal spores in it. The duration of the meeting is 15-20 minutes. In the early stages of infection, the use of ultraviolet radiation eliminates the use of antifungal agents.
- Diathermy, pulse therapy, UHF therapy to improve peripheral circulation.
- The laser irradiates the skin. Skin irradiation inhibits the inflammatory process and relieves itching, dry and humid areas.
You can use folk recipes to defeat the initial stage of fungus. Through regular procedures, the results will be obvious.
Folk remedies cannot independently destroy fungal spores, but have certain antibacterial and antiseptic effects.
As an aid to medicines, prepared according to folk recipes, they are very effective.
The use of traditional medical methods must necessarily require the permission of the attending physician.
According to the review, effective assistance was provided in the following areas:
- Bath with soda and salt. . . 1 tablespoon. The lake dissolves salt and soda in 2 liters of water and adds 10 drops of iodine. Soak your feet in the solution for 15 minutes. This procedure is performed before applying the antifungal agent.
- Tray with potato skin decoction. . . Immerse the legs in broth that has cooled to a comfortable temperature for 20 minutes, then wash. This procedure is carried out every day until the symptoms disappear.
- Soak in poplar bark soup. . . Pour 100 grams of chopped bark into 500 milliliters of boiling water and hold until it cools. The resulting immersion liquid is added to the bath.
- Garlic ointment. . . 2 large cloves of garlic are pressed into a gruel and mixed with 100 grams of butter. Apply the ointment to the steamed skin for 10-15 minutes a day for one month.
- Decoction applicationMedicinal herbs. A series of chamomile and violet, 2 tablespoons each, pour one liter of boiling water, and hold for 2-3 hours. Apply gauze soaked in the infusion solution to the inflamed area for 30 minutes every day.
- Compressed with burdock leaves. . . Knock off the fresh burdock leaves with a hammer, wrap the legs, fasten them with bandages, and put on socks. The compressed bag is changed twice a day. The duration of the course is 21 days.
- Apply with carrot juice and vinegar.1 tbsp. Hu mixed carrot juice with 9% vinegar and applied a tampon to the inflamed area.
- Egg vinegar ointment. . . Pour 100 ml of vinegar (70%) into a raw egg for 7 days. Mix the dissolved eggs with 100 grams of butter and stir. The obtained lotion was applied to the steamed legs, wrapped in foil and put on socks. Repeat this procedure every day until the fungus is completely cured.
- Compressed with ammonia. . . Add 1 tablespoon to 200 milliliters of water. Lake ammonia water, moisten the gauze with the solution, wrap your feet in it and put on socks. Compression is done in the evening until morning. The total number of programs is 9-10.
Toe fungus is not only a skin problem.
Spread through the body and penetrate into the blood, the infection affects internal organs and negatively affects the function of the entire organism:
- Long-term exposure to mycotoxins can cause allergic reactions, worsening bronchial asthma, and dermatitis.
- Penetrating into the blood can disrupt the work of internal organs.
- Deep fungal diseases can lead to the progression of diabetes, which can develop into gangrene and bone infections in its context.
Organisms with a strong immune system can resist any infectious disease. Therefore, the main measure to prevent fungal infections is to maintain the body's defenses.
Following hygiene rules will help avoid infection with fungal spores:
- Change socks and tights every day;
- Use breathable shoes made of natural materials;
- Wear special shoes (slippers, slippers) in public places;
- When visiting swimming pools, bathrooms, and beaches, treat the skin of the legs with a special protective spray;
- Perform a pedicure in a verified salon, and the instruments are properly disinfected;
- Try on shoes with disposable socks in the store.
Special attention should be paid to prevent fungal re-infection after treatment.
In order to prevent the spores from persisting on various surfaces, it is necessary to disinfect them with a 45% vinegar solution.
It is recommended to change towels and slippers.
Treat the remaining shoes from the inside with a vinegar solution and put them in a plastic bag for 12 hours.
Boil sheets, socks, tights, and towels in a soap and soda solution for 10-15 minutes.
Fungus on the toes should not be triggered, so it is recommended to see a doctor when the first symptoms appear.
Starting treatment in time will allow you to respond quickly to the fungus and avoid complications. The fungal disease must be treated until the symptoms are completely eliminated and the skin is restored.